Thursday, March 8, 2007

Roll Call...Pets...a week late, but I brought my excuse with me!

Okay, so I have been a little busy lately. Actually the truth be known I have been breaking speed records (especially for pregnant ladies)and I have finally started to slow down. I am actually getting to post because I am sitting at my computer trying to fix my brand new memory card. One use and it thinks it's done.....not for what I paid for it!!!
Anyhow....pets. Ask mom and she will tell you I am a big animal lover. I have had pets around most of my life. About 8 years ago (gosh that's a long time!!) we acquired Jodi and Sugar, two miniature long-haired dachsunds. Damon's aunt was a breeder and told us that one day we could have one of her dogs as a wedding gift. She had a massive heart attack and passed away and so the time for our "gift" came earlier than expected. We had just been to her farm only 2 weeks prior and had seen a new litter of 3 weinie dogs (which look like cocker spaniels when they are born....could you imagine giving birth to that nose!). We thought nothing of it. As the dogs were being disperced Damon mentioned the "gift" and we were told to find a dog. We decided we wanted a cocker spaniel-like dog and started looking. I came across this one lonely pup, who looked very much like a cocker spaniel. He was fuzzy and snuggly and almost matched the coloring of my hair. Apparently he was the lone survivor of his litter. I fell in love. I was snuggling with him on the couch to take a nap and up pops this beautiful red and black weinie dog. She snuggled with me and we all took a little nap. Turns out that beauty was the mama of the cute little pup I was in love with. He was only 4 weeks old and not weened, so as Damon's uncle put it "ya gotta take the mama too!" So much for any cocker-like puppies. I called my parents and begged them to take their precious grand-dogs in until we could keep them (the univ. apartments forbid pets). Mom's a sucker and said yes. We were initially going to name them Cinnamon and Sugar (hince the girly name for our boy dog). Turns out that Jodi has a few tattoos (she had a few too many to drink I guess...that or it was her wild streak) and one revealed her name, Jodi, given to her by Damon's aunt. She was one of the house dogs that kept getting into the pens when she wasn't supposed to. Even in her old age she is still sneaky.
My parents can tell you all sorts of funny stories from when they lived with them (about 3 years). Like the time Jodi brought them a dead squirrel. Or how they would eat the rotten tomatoes mom threw into the yard and suddenly mom had many, many tomato plants all over the yard.
Over all they are good dogs and Damon and my first babies. They really have taken a hit on the totem pole as the kiddos have come along. But I will admit to the world that I still love them.....at least for now!

5 comments:

Not Hertz said...

I will testify to Gina having a lot of pets. It seemed she always had some kind of creature. Jodi and Sugar were the cream of the crop. They always had a trail run from the back door to the back pecan tree. One would run around the big tree in the back yard one way and the other would run the other way in an attempt to catch any squirrels that might be digging for stored pecans in the back yard.
You could give a raw hide to both dogs and Jodi would hide hers somewhere and steel Sugars. Then Sugar would sit for hours waiting for Jody to either chew that one up or get too tired to chew anymore. Sugar was fast but Jody was sneakier, thus the dead squirrel at our feet. Huh! I can't quite put my finger on who those two remind me of?

Amy said...

Ooo Ooo! I know! I know! Pick me!

Not Hertz said...

Yes Amy! Would you like to give us the answer?

Gina said...

yeah Amy...WHO??????

Amy said...

Gina!? What are you doing here? Ummm. I was going to say my kids. That's right. My kids.