Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Cummings' Family Fence Post

I remember hearing Grandma and her siblings talk about all their memories of growing up together and then of growing old together. They were a part of each other's lives through all the stages of childhood, marriage, parenting, empty nest syndrome, and retirement. I was staying with Grandma and Grandpa one night when Aunt Juanita came in dressed for a country/western hoe down. She just stopped by to chat and check in. I hoped that some day I would find myself aging with my family like that.

Years have passed and we have most all moved beyond the borders of West Texas. We don't have fence posts to chat over anymore and we only hear brief reports from each camp about what is going on. You may know that Uncle Lee lives in Oklahoma, but do you know what his favorite breakfast food is? And who in our family knows exactly what it is he does for Xerox?
Let's hear it for the internet, for it has returned us to the fence post. I hope we can all take advantage of this bit of modern technology to get back to what is simple: keeping up with family.

6 comments:

Sandra Dodd said...

Okay I got here but not quite how I did it

Sandra Dodd said...

I do love this idea a chat at the family fence post...

Not Hertz said...

Uncle Lee usually does not eat breakfast. He drinks a glass of OJ and occasionally a cookie.

Amy said...

Now see? This is what this is all about. Now we all know that Uncle has unhealthy breakfast habits.

Gina said...

We should all conspire to fix his problems at the fam reunion....that would be fun!!!
I will vow for the validity of Mrs.Hertz comment about the carb packed breakfast...oh and sometimes he has a coke too!!

Courtney & Co said...

i drink dr. pepper for breakfast. . .lee and I can hang out at the breakfast rebels' table!