Saturday, January 27, 2007

Memories

I have too many memories to pick a favorite, but I doubt if I ever forget the day Grandpa asked me to put the sprinkler on the North/West side of his front yard. If you know me well, then you know that I only just recently got left/right down, start giving me directions that belong on a compass and I just blink. If you knew Grandpa very well, you knew not to ask for clarifications because he would also just blink.
I tried, oh how I tried. I thought really hard about where the sun rose in relation to their house and I tried to remember if the cowboy rode to the sun setting in the east or west. I'm not going to explain that, it made sense to me.
After the grass in the far South/East portion of their lawn had received a good soaking, Grandpa went out to check my work. He had no idea the time I spent trying to figure out his orders. He seemed surprised that a ten year old can make it that far in school and not know directions. That was the day he decided I could help sweep the porch and he would handle yard watering strategy.

No comments: