Monday, January 29, 2007

I will always APPRICIATE Bonnie (the most wonderful mother-in-law ever) for how encouraging and positive she always was to me. Jack and I married so young and I know that had to give her cause for concern.
She never complained about her life of pain even on her worst days.
Memories......there are so many good ones.
One of my favorite MEMORIES of Bonnie was how she could make the best and even joke about any situation she found herself in. Like the time we were called to come to Lubbock because she was having to undergo yet another surgery that they didn't think she could make it through (she had just had a surgery a week or two before). We got there just as the nurse was getting ready to take her into surgery. We said our good-bys and went to wait in the waiting room. Art & Blanche Beck (they were living with Jimmie & Bonnie while going through Sunset School of Preaching) were there along with the family. Bonnie came through the surgery fine, however she didn't think she was going to and she told us later that when she was waking up she thought to herself "surely heaven doesn't smell like a hospital". When we could visit her Blanche told her that we were all in the waiting room praying for her to make it through surgery. Bonnie said that from now on we all needed to be on the same page with our prayers because she had been praying that she would go ahead and go "home".
My most PRECIOUS time with her was when she was in the hospital and Sandra and I would take turns staying a week at a time with her. It was my honor to help her at that time and just be there with her when she needed something. We talked about a lot of things and that was just a very special time to be able to tell her how much I loved and appriciated her for all that she meant to me.

3 comments:

Sandra Dodd said...

Sandra,
you became an example to me in the way you tenderly took care of mom. No one could tell which was the daughter-in-law and which was the daugher.. I became more acutely aware of how I approched my own mother-in-law because of your example.

Shug said...

I love you and I appriciate your kind words.
I learned what kind of mother-in-law I wanted to be from the way Bonnie treated and accepted me.

Jack said...

How could I loose with two "Sandras" in my life like this.One my wife, the other my sister!

Jack